Friday, June 6, 2008

JROTC Camp

I just got back from camp. It was a flippin' blast!!! I met a lot of really cool people and did a lot of cool things. I'll try to sum it all up as best as I can.

1st Day: I arrived on Sunday and set things up at my barracks. I also met my cadre (I was in Charlie Company) and my bay-mates. we ate dinner and went to bed.

2nd Day: Our company went to an area where we went across a rope bridge (i helped set it up). Then we went to a field where we did activities that built up teamwork. Then we went repelling. That was awesome!! The instructor started off by repelling Australian style (for those of you who do not know, that means he RAN down the tower, instead of jumping down it a little at a time). My platoon also played volleyball and won. Three games were won by C Company.

3rd Day: C Company went to the confidence course. To be brief, it's a series of obstacles that helps build confidence in your physical abilities. After lunch, we went to a navigational course. I was the azimuth shooter (which means I used the compass to navigate). We ended up 200 meters from our destination (my bad). My platoon also played basketball and lost. Three games were won by C Company, making a total of six wins and two losses.

4th Day: C Company went to the LRC course. I'll try to draw it out for you:


=====l=======l=======l=======l========l========l======

This is the shape of the concrete walls (just imagine that the l's extend up and down longer). In each section is a puzzle that you have to solve, using teamwork and the supplies that you are provided with. My group completed 3 of the 5 puzzles that we participated in (no one did every puzzle). My platoon played broom hockey and won. Four games were won by C Company making a grand total of 10 wins and 2 losses, the highest number of wins in the camp.

5th Day: The entire camp had a picnic. The rest 0f the day was free time. My platoon practiced our marching sequence. When it came time for the competition, 1st Platoon of C Company won. It was near bedtime though when one of our bay-mates, Dakota Samuels, got some bad news. His father had engaged enemy aircrafts that day while stationed over in Iraq. His father shot down three enemy planes, but was then shot down himself. We all immediately thought that he was dead, but then we learned that his death was unconfirmed. We clung to faith, and hour or two later, Dakota got a text message from his mom saying that his father was okay. He had jumped from the plane and landed on a roof. The extent of his injuries is unknown, but is well known that he is alive.

6th Day: Everyone woke up early in the morning and cleaned up the entire barracks. Me and another cadet from my platoon, AD South, went with several other cadets from our company to clean up the cadre's barracks. After all was said and done, everyone said goodbye and loaded onto the buses.

I had a great time. I wish I could go again, but since I'll be graduating this next year, SGM won't let me. I might be able to convince him though. Anyways, Ahm outta heah!!

3 comments:

wilkinson family said...

wow!! sounds like you guys had a great time.
i am thankful for your bunkmate that his father was blessed to still be alive. wow! the power of prayer.

Kira =] said...

Sounded like you enjoyed it! At FHE I noticed you had muscles in your biceps. don't roll your eyes. I just hadn't noticed before. sorry. love you & the great young man you are =]

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a ton of fun! I'm really proud of you and the young man you have become!