Sunday, May 25, 2008

Rifle Team Equipment for Precision (as requested by Kira)

There are two main features about the Precision equipment: the jacket and the pants.

The jacket and pants are pretty much made from the same materials ......... but I don't quite know what those are, however I think that a little bit of it is made from leather; anyways so imagine a suitcoat that has leather on the back; crude bumpy rubber at the elbows, right shoulder, and left hip area; stretchy, flexible fabric (don't know what to call it) on the inside of the elbows; and the rest of the jacket is a fabric that is practically unstretchable, I mean this stuff is STIFF; at the middle of the jacket are buttons that go down to the bottom of it to keep it tight on me; finally the left shoulder has a strap that keeps the rifle sling in place when I'm in prone or kneeling position.

The pants are pretty much made of the same thing except for leather. There is crude, bumpy rubber on the knees and rear end; that stretchy, flexible fabric at the thighs; a lot of tight, tight holding velcro where a zipper would be and a clip-thingy where a button would be; and finally there are zippers at the calves so that you can zip them up when you are in position to keep you steady and almost immovable since the rest of the pants is that nonstrecthy fabric that I described earlier, but you can unzip them when you are getting out of position or when you just wanna walk around.

I have not tried the boots yet, but as far as I know, the soles are almost perfectly flat, and you are able to pull the laces as tight as humanly possible.

The Rifle is a unique design. The handle is made to where it fits your hand, as in if you are looking at me while I'm holding it pointing it at you, you wouldn't see my hand at all (I hope I didn't confuse y'all there). The butt of the rifle is adjustable; you can move it up, down, forwards, or towards you. the area where you would place your cheek is also adjustable up and down. The end of the barrel has a weight that you can move around. The trigger is extremely easy to pull and has a rotatable thingy on it so that you can't "roll the trigger".

There is other stuff that both the sporter and the precision use: the glove, the kneeling roll, the prone mat, the off-stand, and the earplugs.

The glove (for the left hand only) is almost completely made of crude, bumpy rubber in order to hold the rifle in place, and the inside is a thick layer of cotton (I think) that keeps your hand from hurting while in position and muffles your heartbeat so that it doesn't affect your aim.

The kneeling roll is only used for kneeling position (DUH!!). It is filled with a whole bunch of stuffing and you place it under the leg that you are kneeling on around the foot and ankle.

The prone mat is also almost entirely made of crude, bumpy rubber. It is used for the prone position only (another duh).

The off-stand is for standing and partly for kneeling. In standing and kneeling it holds your pellet box which contains 100 pellets. In standing it provides an additional purpose; there is a pad on top that you can rest your rifle on before you shoot (meaning you rest your rifle on the off-stand in between shots).

I haven't quite figured out why we need earplugs, because the rifles aren't loud. For some reason, though, it helps my shooting.

Well, that's it in a nutshell, this is Hawkeye, signing out.

2 comments:

Kira =] said...

Ok, so I was trying to find a picture of what it looked like to help me, and let me know if this is it.

http://www.odcmp.com/3P/Pic/Img/Parker.jpg

Will you guys compete in this thingy?
http://www.odcmp.com/3P/Army_Jr_Championship.htm

Thanks for the very good description and detail J-Man!! =]

wilkinson family said...

wow! that is a great description and the pic link from k really helped.

okay, now you guys need to post something new. maybe plans for summer? did you ever get into the poison ivy you guys were going to clear out?
love ya anyway.