Sunday, May 25, 2008

Last Sunday was Seminary graduation (but they still went this last week and have two more days to go) Miles and Jotty both got Perfect Attendance, Scripture Mastery, Completing Old Testament and Course Completion. They will have their annual dinner and seminary auction next Saturday.
Then we had Ross visiting Ft Rucker so we got to see him Tuesday night. It was the week for our combined FHE so we postponed it so he could come. I think he thought we were all nuts and it was so noisy! It was good to see him though. We were going to see him on Wednesday night too until I remembered that we had church meetings. I should have invited him to come to church so he could talk to our scout master or committee chairman. He had a lot of information that I think our whole council could use. I didn't think councils and troops could be so different but it is obvious they are not created equal. Scouting really seems to be on the ball in their area. Ah well, it was still good to see him and someday, it would be nice to visit them and see the whole family again.
The rest of the week I was preparing my part of our parting gifts to the kids of our class. Every year I take pics throughout the year and then I make a musical slide show of them. (you know, Windows Movie Maker). I get real OCD about the timing of pictures to music and picture subject to words of songs. In the end though, I enjoy it and the outcome is worth it but it takes a lot of my time.
Then Friday night, Ian called to say that he and Jessica were on their way down. We got to visit with them Saturday evening. Jessica played with all the nieces and nephews and they loved it! We talked about the house they are buying in Mississippi where she will be working on her Master's degree. The house is a fixer upper but has so much potential! They will be moving down there this summer. It was great to see and visit with them again. By the way, they have issued an open invite to anyone who wants to help with renovations.
Earlier on Saturday there was a combined YM/YW service project at our house. Only one YW
showed up (and Amry) and we had 5 boys and the YM pres. JaNae came over for two hours and of course there was Miles, Jotty and I. We got a lot done, cutting back all the overgrowth in the back yard---now you can see the back fence! THAT means that we have a clear view of another project...replacing the fence! There are still trees to take down behind the fence and in the part of our lot next to the pool area (which will have to be done by professionals)and more brush behind the pool area to remove so we're always behind. It was beastly hot at 8:30 a.m. and lots of pesky gnats around but everyone worked until noon. Then they went swimming and we fed them and they watched a movie. I am so glad for their help. It would've taken Jotty, Miles and I a few weekends to accomplish the same thing and I can't work like I used to. Next task is to get the stumps out but I'm not sure how we are going to accomplish that. There's the damaged chain link fence in the pool area too but one thing at a time (and you gotta have money).
Well, one more day of work for me for a few weeks and 3 days of school left for the boys.

3 comments:

Myhouse4nine said...

What no poison Ivy ar your service project? Shame you must learn these things are epic right now. Service projects must = poison Ivy. Oh well, I guess you did the best you could darn it. I'v never been to one that got to go swimming afterward... Sound good!COngrats on the clearing!

Jan Parker said...

There is poison ivy...it's on the fence that Miles, Jotty and I will clear tomorrow..wish us luck. Since you have experience-what's the best antidote? (other than just not clearing it out)

Kira =] said...

according to aunt hannah's blog it's alcohol based hand sanitizer. Now you need to share pictures of the great project. =]