Sunday, February 7, 2010

Edging toward the peak...

Why is it that 60 seems like the apex of the age curve? I have always felt that when I reach 60 I'll be coasting down the downward slope. No, not on skis like I used to do but in a wheelchair or walker. Not a pretty sight in my mind. I remember wondering, years ago, why my Mom took naps everyday. Yeah, well, NOW I know. What a smart woman she was! Since I have kids after work/school everyday it is hard to fit a nap in- but then I'm draggin' big time through the rest of the evening if I don't catch a little cat nap.
At any rate-turning 57 was not traumatic or really even eventful. Just another day at work but with cake for dessert! All of our kids called me to wish me happy birthday(some reminded by a phone call from Kira). It was nice talking to them all. I even got seranaded in two calls...my grandkids are pretty good little singers.
Grace asked me how old I was and after I told her, she then asked, "Wow,...well then, how old is my mom?". My memory being what it is - and on the fly, I could only answer, "A LOT younger than me."
I think that after 25 or so, birthdays are highly over-rated. Then, when you hit 85 or so-they are really a reason to celebrate again.
Jotty tried out for Music Man and is the baritone in the Barbershop Quartet. Instead of being just a high school production this time, they opened it up to the college kids and community choir members too. At least with the new civic center, there is a stage to perform on. When they did "Into the Woods" last year, it was on a portable stage in the large band room. NOT an easy task.
So, I went to rehearsal one day to offer my services to help costume the quartet. When I left, I was the the wardrobe mistress for the whole production! I can't say I resisted too much- I love helping in theater and since we don't do roadshows at church anymore...I kinda miss it. Not that it's going to be terribly easy but I think I'm up to the challenge. Some of the women in the cast want to have their costumes made so I won't have to worry about them. But there are a whole lot more I do have to take care of. Anyone out there have any turn-of-the-century type clothes hangin' around? I can adapt quite a few but it is still a task finding stuff that will easily be adapted.
One lucky find-since I need a LOT of hats for the production-I thought I'd check the Christian Mission thrift shop the other day. What luck! They had just put out a bunch of wide-brimmed ladies hats that I can definitely use. Twelve hats! Plus, I have some others, the college music dept has a few, and I am hoping to get my brothers to send me any remaining hats that my Mom made. Unfortunately for the show-when Mom passed away, we sold a bunch of her hats to a little shop in Hollywood so I can't use those. A lot of them would have been perfect!
With the new year I'm not accomplishing much of what I wanted to do--I did catch up with a bit of my mending and alterations for other people. If I could just find the energy to straighten the office...get the rest of Christmas crafts and misc sorted and put in the garage or elsewhere. Does it ever end?
Well, time to try to get to bed at a decent hour.

3 comments:

wilkinson family said...

cool for jotty.
uh, you sure this won't over load you and stress you out. i love you and you do a fantastic job with costumes. love you much mom.

sleepless said...

I can relate...April called and wanted to know what cool things I was doing today for my birthday...say what ???? Well, vacuuming, some yard work..walking to the fabric store ..I have a good coupon..REAL LIFE ..it is pretty dull even on special days actually !! Good luck with the costumes !!

Freth Stifter said...

You're almost 60! WOW!

Gettin' there rapidly ...

:-)