Friday, November 27, 2009

THANKS-giving

Another Thanksgiving, a day to create
Delicious food to fill our plates.
The turkey was done on the day before
And no need for last minute trips to the store;
I was organized, not going to stress:
The menu -- no frills, minimal at best.
All was prepared, nearly everything done
Except the potatoes, being mashed by my son.
He said with chagrin, “Some pieces aren’t cooked.”
“I’m sure you’re mistaken”… and then I looked;
Yep, there were lumps, too hard to mash
My blood pressure rose, teeth started to gnash;
“Now what?” I asked, “What can we do?”
“It’s good enough Mom, it’s only a few,
And lumps give it character, no one will mind”
But give me a flaw, and more I will find.
I fretted, I fumed, my potatoes had lumps!
Here on Thanksgiving, life’s handing me bumps?
The glass half-empty was all I could see;
Then I pondered the problem, not potatoes, but me.
So the food wasn’t perfect, but it was fine, it was great;
We enjoyed one another, we talked as we ate.
I reflected I really have been greatly blessed
And I have to remember, even when stressed
That my life is so full, including the bumps,
And be thankful for all, even potatoes with lumps!:)

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. We did, especially after I quit worrying about the lumpy potatoes. They were delicious anyway, especially with the gravy (which ALSO wasn't "perfect"). I particularly love all the visiting with one another after we've eaten.
JaNae and I were in Walmart in the wee hours of "Black Friday" morning trying to pick up stuff on her list. It was busy, packed, but not unpleasant. The Walmart employees were all so cheery...even the ones outside in the cold.

We have a sweet dog named Moroni...we call him Moni. He's 12 years old and I find he and I have increasingly more in common. We're both getting older and slower. We like naps and food and both have arthritis. And now, he seems to have lost his hearing too. Just in the last couple of days it has become obvious that he cannot hear us at all. Of course, I have hearing aids so I am not as bad off. I never realized how much dogs bond with us through our vocal contact. We are trying to remember to give him visual signals for "come" and "out" and to pet him more often. I'll need to call the vet tomorrow.

Okay, is Miles' blog more interesting? He has 6 followers (great-he likes that!)and I have one(thank you Kira). Sumthin's up ain't it?

No comments: