Other news, we now have a rabbit. It's young, about 4 months old by our friend's estimation. Brice and Cian (JaNae's boys) were playing in our backyard Friday and ran in to tell us they saw a rabbit! Now, seeing rabbits around here isn't unusual...we often pull into the driveway to see one dashing back into the bushes next door at our approach... wild rabbits. In fact, the dog is always chasing them out of the pool area at night. So, when the boys said "Come see it Grandma", I'm thinking: "That rabbit is LONG gone now" but I say okay and go out. "See?" says Brice, pointing, "there he is!". Sure enough, the rabbit is still there, in some short weeds by the back fence sitting real still. We slowly approach and the little thing doesn't move even when we're only 3 feet away. JaNae comes out and we move to get a better look and the rabbit just sits there. JaNae remarks how pretty the coloring is and how it is surprising it hasn't dashed off yet. Then the rabbit kind of lops off behind some bigger bushes. JaNae and I figure that's the end of it. The next minute or so, Brice says, "There he is!" and sure enough he's on the lawn eating some mimosa leaves (the ONLY thing mimosa is good for). The boys inch toward the bunny and get about 2 feet from it before it runs off and goes under our shed. Then we all come in.
Later, getting towards dusk, Brice and Amry go outside the throw a ball around. She thinks she sees a cat out of the corner of her eye, but Brice tells her, "No, that's the bunny!" and they go over to investigate. They see what leaves it's eating and get more and offer it to the rabbit. He nibbles, they edge closer and they pet him. Then they run back into the house, "We pet the bunny! Come on, Grandma. Cian, you want to see?" (they woke him up from a nap). So, we all tramp out to the backyard and there he sits. Slowly we move towards him and I'm thinking , "Four of us closing in on him...he is going to bolt" but I'm wrong. They each give him a little pet, and then I reach down to pet him and then I just pick him up. He didn't fuss or fight and then just snuggled into my arms. OBVIOUSLY, this bunny has been a pet. We'll try to find out if someone has a lost bunny but meanwhile we borrowed a cage from some friends and got food, etc. for him. He's a very sweet and pretty animal. Jotty keeps reminding me he's only here TEMPORARILY...even though Jotty's the one that named him "Harvey". The cats are curious and the dog VERY interested.
Jotty had a rifle match last weekend. And I actually got to go! His girlfriend and her Mom were there too so I had someone to talk to. Jotty shot a 569 which isn't as good as he usually does. Still, he's 4th place in the conference. In a match, they shoot 3 positions (prone, kneeling, and standing) 20 shots per position. The garb they wear helps them stabilize their control of the rifle. The range he's standing is one of just a few of the electronic ranges in the nation...and is one of the things at the school that the tornado didn't touch. Of course they don't have high powered weapons in school. These are compressed air, pellet rifles. Jotty's is a Walther brand
Miles has been gone nearly 2 weeks so I expect to hear from him soon. Be sure to check out his blog if you haven't yet and be a follower so I know it's worth the time to keep it up. Feel free to leave comment too. Just click on his picture on the top right of this blog and it will take you to his blog (or... http://eldermilesparker.blogspot.com)
2 comments:
Wow...that bunny must have been a pet, because wild bunnies are so high strung that being near people s
usually makes their heart stop!! That cool that you have a new pet!
That unique upon sounds a LOT like Meservy joke ... sad.
Post a Comment