Not that anyone reads these...but I know I need to blog again-- just in case. I need to get into the habit for when Miles is on his mission. Oh yes, his mission ''application" has been submitted. He will be ordained an Elder on Sunday.
I finished working the 4 weeks of "summer pre-school" right after Miles and Jotty went to EFY in Gainesville, Georgia. They LOVED it of course. Miles noted that the biggest difference between EFY and Youth Conference is the spirit felt there. He feels it is because all the kids are at EFY because they WANT to be there and unfortunately some go to Youth Conference because parents make them or because their friend is going.
The last day of summer work was the day I left to chaperone at Youth Conference in Troy. There were 6 stakes that participated in Youth Conference. Our stake hosted this year and there were about 900 youth. As far as our ward was concerned, our young men were obedient to rules. Two of the girls, however, were not and we were constantly looking for them because they would leave an activity and go off somewhere. Aaarrrggghhh! We weren't the only ward with errant youth though. For any kids who WANTED to be there, it was a good conference.
After Youth Conference we went to work on the yard. A lot of the overgrowth that we trimmed back last year returned of course. Despite 100 degree weather we made quick work of it and JaNae's kids even helped haul branches out to the front for pickup. Miles and Jotty also cleared our side yard (mostly weeds) and then Miles and I used wire and marked off our property line so we would know where to put a fence if we ever get to do that (not holding our breath). Our lawns are all trimmed AND edged and the flowers are looking pretty good. We hope we have finally eradicated the mimosa with this new stuff we sprayed and will be able to plant a veggie garden again next year. Anyone who's ever been down this way knows you can have a green yard without trying. Mimosa, kudzu, and stickery vines are plentiful and need no help in spreading. DRIVES ME CRAZY!
This week we've been working on the pool area. The boys trimmed the hedge back some and weeded, and we all worked on pressure-washing the 3 coats of paint off the concrete deck so we can paint it again. The pressure-washing is kind of like painting your house with a tiny brush-VERY slow-going. We tried to patch a spot in the concrete but we did an awful job. If bartering ever makes a comeback I will have to stick to sewing. Anyway, all the lattice has been cleaned, and also the backyard "porch" (slab). Miles worked his tail off digging a drainage ditch so that when it rains, the water won't pool around the back door (and leak in). We put rocks in the ditch too. Jotty vacuumed the pool-there were lots of paint flakes in it. We were going to paint the deck today but it rained almost all day so hopefully tomorrow. We've had this planned for quite awhile and would especially like to get it done before everyone comes for the "reunion" but the weather will have to cooperate. While they did a lot of the yard work last week, I spent time trying to situate each spare room so it would be comfortable for Mom M and Royal and family.
I HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF! Meanwhile, with all this going on, Jotty has had rifle practice every weekday morning AND the van died. We are fortunate to be able to borrow a friend's car. I fear the emergency fund is about to be sucked dry.
Well, time for bed. I will post a picture of Moni tomorrow-he went to the vet for shots and a haircut today. I swear he seems happier now.
1 comment:
I'm surprised you really think no one reads your blog!! How silly! Anna, Kira, and I all have links to this very blog on our own blog so that the moment you post new, we can check it out! (It shows exactly how new your post is on all our own blogs.)
Jotty looks awesome as an eagle. I am so proud of him. He has really developed himself. How does he stave off the women? ;-)
We'll see you in a few days!
Love you!
-E
Post a Comment