Saturday, November 15, 2008







Well, not that anyone is asking, but here I go again. Sometimes I just find it difficult to get around to blogging. We were so immersed in Jotty's Eagle project that when it was finished I just zoned out. Now work is getting more stressing as we try to finish the individual calendar we do for each set of parents -AND deal with 14 three-year-olds who don't understand "inside voices" or sitting still for 15 seconds. Lately I have been tending JaNae's kids a couple times a week, drive the normal school-day drive (seminary, school pick-up, drop-off stuff), have my allergies winning the battle, and helped a very dear friend while she went through a crisis. Add RS responsibilities, sewing for other people(although Karina's "Genie"costume was kind of fun to create) and my downright laziness (because I DO manage to make time for the "Super Granny" game), and I just never get around to blogging OR a lot of other things which will remain nameless.
Jotty's Eagle project was done at the county DHR too. His project was re-doing the entryway and the waiting room. I included before & after pics. In a nutshell, the wallpaper was torn off a year ago leaving the walls ugly and depressing so we primed & painted and spruced the area up. They were appreciative of the new look. It took our whole week of fall break from school and we were really scrapping for help some days because of that. One client complained about the wall color and one DHR employee thought we should have sanded the walls first. As another employee pointed out, we would have needed equipment and professionals for that...this was just a group of volunteers helping out at no expense to DHR. Well, its done! Jotty still has a couple merit badges to finish. Miles' Eagle Court of Honor is waiting for ME to organize. (yep, I needed more things to do).
Ian sent lots of costumes for the little kids(hurray and thank you) and included two trenchcoats so the boys could dress as brothers Dante & Virgil from a video game(Devil May Cry 3)for their Halloween activities. I had to add a piece down the whole back of Miles' coat as he was just too broad-shouldered for the "one-size-fits-all". JaNae cut Miles' wig, I sprayed Jotty's hair kind of white, we "tinted" the coats, and they put the other stuff together. They went with Jeremy to take the kids trick-or-treating and then went to the last half of the school football game. I couldn't figure out the odd/concerned look on the cops faces as I dropped them off at the game...until I realized I had dropped off two kids in dark trenchcoats, boots, gloves and odd hair. I guess they get nervous about those things.The pirate pics are from an "under the sea" school activity for homecoming week. Miles, Jotty, and their friend Jeremy all dressed as pirates. There were other kids who did also but they had store-bought costumes. Those three did their costumes from stuff they had---friend Jeremy asks, "What are the odds that we're the only three that just happen to have 16th century style shirts in our closets?" We couldn't find the toy parrot we used to have so I sewed a turtle to Jotty's shoulder and a crab to Miles'. Miles would tell people, "Aye, this here is me crab, Clarence. Clarence ate me bird, so now he's livin' a life of servitude". They staged a sword fight at lunch and had a lot of fun. Miles' pic was even in the newspaper. The pic of me is a last minute "put-together" for school...ta-da...Mother Nature! (you didn't know she was aging so badly did you?)

3 comments:

wilkinson family said...

mom i so love all the pics!!! the boys halloween costumes were awesome and i love the pirates too. esp. clarence and the story behind him. you are an awesome mother nature.
as for all the grueling work that you guys put in, i think you all did a fantastic job! 100% better than before your work.

sleepless said...

Oh yah, I can see the cops concern when you dropped them off..they look too real to be costumed !...CONGRATULATIONS on another successful Eagle Project !!!

The Mrs. said...

Those costumes are SO awesome! I wish we could have been there for Halloween! Elizabeth