Saturday, April 26, 2008

A "free" Saturday

The boys didn't have to be anywhere today, nor did I, so it was "start catching up on yardwork" time. Miles mowed all three lawns, Jotty edged, "weed eated", and swept. The edger is one that Branton Spivey gave us two years ago---we never used it til today thinking it needed work but Miles got it going. I pulled a multitude of weeds from one front garden, around the mailbox and lamp post and trimmed back the azeleas. I have wild berries around the lampost so I made room for the little things. There aren't many but Amry likes to look for them when she comes over. I had to eat two today because...well, because they were there!
I need to weed and trim back in the other front garden later in the week. I just can't do as much as I used to and it frustrates me! Miles, at one point, while I was washing some stuff off the driveway (yes, hose in hand) and complaining that I was so tired already said, "Mom, you're old. These things happen when you get old." I exhibited maturity though and refused the temptation to spray the puppy down! Seriously though, he was telling me to go in and rest and he would finish the work...I couldn't spray him for being thoughtful.
The pool water is now 77 degrees! I need to get the deck painted but I still haven't finsihed pressure washing the old paint layers off. I had to quit last year because we had a water shortage. It's okay so far this year so I'd better get cracking. Yes, the boys could do it but I find it relaxing. (hey-I never said I was normal). Anyway, I can think, pray, plan, whatever, while I am doing something so mindless as pressurewashing. Well, it is tiring but mindless none-the-less.
So, once I fill a wide crack or two, and finish pressure washing we can paint it. I can't figure out what color though. Maybe a terra cotta? Wait. We have to paint the metal coping before we can paint the deck and before we paint the coping we have to wire brush the bigger rust chunks off. And the gutters on the house have to come down and be replaced, and there's some rotted would that HAS to be replaced ASAP, and then...see why I get so tired??? You know what happens then...you work hard on the outside and then you get behind on the inside of the house. No wonder I hardly ever go in the pool!
There's a sister in the ward that said she'd help me with landscaping ideas for the pool area...if i find the time.
I NEVER appreciated all the work my parents put into keeping up with that acre and a half of ours. I don't know how they did it really...except it may have helped that they didn't have church responsibilities or meetings. Even so, how did they do it? And it was so beautiful too. I know I'm not the only one who felt it was a little paradise right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. I wish I had the focus to do that here.
Well, the boys are goingo over to a friend's so I'm going to clean the pool and then delte programs from my computer so that I have more room on the hard drive. I only have 18% left and that's after deleting 6 GB of photos....that's an whole other story in itself!

2 comments:

Hawkeye said...

wow, I didn't know you could say that much on work, lol, just a note on something that happened to the mormonator and I on the way to our friends house;

We were driving along when the driver suddenly swerves a little and freaks out. Investigation brought out that she nearly ran over a turtle in the road. So we turn around, all the while watching it, and it suddenly gets hit (well, more like nicked by the tire so that it spun around). when we got up to it, it was huge! I mean it was twice the size of Miles's hand! So we moved it across the road and Miles got a picture of it. Exciting, huh?

Myhouse4nine said...

Your episode sound rather familiar. Complete with the kids needing to go somewhere, except mine don't say they will take care of it.... You must have a magic solution or something...