I was reading Kira's blog about their "date" and I started thinking about Jim and I and "dates". It's funny because before we were married, I think every date was chaperoned by the kids. I think our first date alone was when he proposed. Later, before he was on the high council or in the Bishopric we had kind of dates once a month when we went to the ballroom dances. Once he was on the high council and on a different work rotation schedule those went out the window. I think we are so used to NOT having dates we don't miss them. Maybe its old age?? Sometimes it seems like so much work to go out...and what's the fun if we can't afford to go eat something we didn't prepare? And yes, the high points of my life are the foods I eat. (if you saw me lately you'd know that)
At any rate, I'm glad that our kids get out with their spouses and go on dates occasionally. At least it gives their children a break...hahahaha!
Its kind of the same thing re: Jim sitting with us in the chapel. For the most part Jotty doesn't remember Jim sitting with us because he was only 3 years old the last time his dad was able to sit with us (like in a sacrament meeting). I realized that I was in the same boat sort of: a couple of Sundays ago there was a combined RS/Priesthood meeting in the chapel and Jim got to sit with me. He put his arm across the back of the pew behind my shoulders and it seemed WEIRD! I found out later that one of the newer sisters thought I was single up to that point. I know I'm not the only one that has experienced this...just odd that it happens to me of course.
Spring break is coming up and we'll be out of school for a week. My co-teacher and I can hardly wait! She's going to Tennessee to see her folks and I guess I'm going to try to make a dent in the yardwork. Miles and Jotty are going on a 50 miles canoe trip and Jimis working of course. JaNae wants me to go with her to see Anna and family but she wants to leave earlier than I am able. Besides, I want to see the boys compete in Auburn and planned to go up there on Saturday. Maybe I can prevail upon her to wait til Monday or Tuesday.
At any rate, a break from getting up at 6:oo a.m. for a week. Hurray!
Oh, good movies viewed lately: "Arthur and the Invisibles" and "Mr. Magorium's Magic Emporium" We enjoyed them.
4 comments:
Arline & I went on one of our rare dates ... to Shoneys (food, of course) ... And they had grilled cheese sandwiches. Had to settle for tomato-vegetable soup to go with the grilled cheese sandwiches ...
I agree with you, go out when you have the money to eat a decent meal like A 9-12oz, STEAK!!! oh and $$ for a sitter. needless to say that only happens every 3 or 4 months. we go out to eat & a movie (if we can find one), so a full night w/sitter is $100. after all we know my kids and believe me it's worth it to pay $5 an hr. to insure i can keep a sitter coming back to deal with my overly rambunctious kids. lol
I liked your comment about it being weird to sit with your man. It has only been 1 1/2 years for me, but before that he was always counting people in church. Now we watch to see if he can stay awake at church. I liked the comment about the father trying to keep his kids quiet at church while his wife was singing.(during conf.) My kids asked if I would like that. No, they are too good at sitting reverntly by themselves lately. I am sure people probably think I am single too. A little girl asked me why I didn't have a daddy on my row...
Bill is so tired at the end of the day that we don't even think about going anywhere after work. But we learned long ago that spending time alone together is crucial for a marriage. But who can afford it now days. So.... we have breakfast together EVERY single Saturday at Larry's Barbeque in Daleville. Come rain or shine, snow or hail, we have breakfast out on Saturdays. Nothing stops us in our quest for alone time together on a cheap scale. It is our "Date night"---
cindi
Post a Comment