Happy Easter to everyone!! Happy Belated birthday to our son-in-law Toby and Happy Anniversary to Royal and Elizabeth.
This year we didn't dye eggs. I hard-boiled a dozen but it is the first time in my life not dyeing any or helping kids do it. I think last year JaNae's kids were over so we had a reason to. It just seemed weird to not dye eggs. Didn't decorate either. The boys are good sports about it and assure me that I haven't let them down; yet I feel like I'm a bad mom for not continuing traditions. Of course the boys would have had to help put it all away too. I seem to lack in the spirit of celebrating; it just seems like so much work. Is it because Easter was so early this year or because we don't see the grandkids much and they're the ones who enjoy decorations the most. I want to focus on the Savior but kids enjoy fun traditions too.
When I was young we used the same cups every year for dyeing eggs. They were high up in a cupboard above the sink that you needed a step ladder to get to. The cups had broken handles and were a yellowish color and had been used for dyeing eggs for so many years that the insides were stained. On the eve of Easter we'd dye a bunch of eggs and we'd put them in a big bowl and put the bowl out on the little, white, wrought iron bench just outside the front door. The idea was for the Easter Bunny to come get them in his travels and use them. At some point during the evening one of us would check and the bowl would be gone! The next a.m. of course, we had one of the eggs we'd decorated in our basket...which was why we did one with our name on it...so he could get it to us. The rest were "given to kids who needed them". I remember my bubble being burst one year when I went to the back fridge and discovered the bowl of Easter eggs...
At any rate, I DID buy candy this year (there are SOME traditions you don't mess with) and we made some baskets up for JaNae's kids. Miles filled a few plastic eggs for the grandkids to hunt before FHE tonight. Anyone interested in some used Easter decorations??

2 comments:
I like your blog. Don't be afraid to write whatever you want including rants. I didn't know these things about your family at Easter. It's nice to have you write that down and any other memories.
Yup. We didn't do anything for Easter either. The girls had two (TWO!) egghunts from Primary and Musicmakers (a play group they go to), so we thought they had plenty of candy anyways.
Post a Comment